AR-15 // Why ??

shadow shadow at GILROY.COM
Tue Nov 6 19:39:59 EST 2001

A message from one of the 5 or 6 audio guys on the list.

Hi All....
The AR 15 has had a few outstanding articles written about it by Popular
Electronics, Radio Electronics and some of the Audio Magazines many years ago..
As being one of the finest pieces of audio equipment ever marketed and you could
have the pleasure and reward of building it your self.. When Heath designed the
AR 15 they gave you every pennies worth Big Time. The massive power supply,
included a huge transformer and massive electrolytic capacitors.... High Current
on demand for the solid state power amp is a Mandatory. Plus lots of shielding.
Everything was adjustable. Extremely quite design for transistors of that time
period and low distortion, inter modulation and a lot of the other audio geek
stuff.

If you wanted a solid state receiver for years of pleasure....  This is a good
one to Restore.
Not because it is a Heath...
Just because it is Excellent in Design, a real work horse and built to last for
a lifetime...

Lots of  very high end audio manufactures have come and gone over the last 20
years. Most are names that people do not even know about. If you own some of
this equipment, you had better be able to repair it and have service data or in
time it will be a door stop.

It does not matter today if you buy the very common  Pioneer " Elite" or a Sony
" ES". This is the high end audio jap stuff today.
Ten years from now it most likely will not be working and you will never find a
repair part.

The Heath my not work perfect .... But it still will work.... Somehow and
someway you will find a part...
Gary