Sputnik

Justin L Hall justin.hall at JUNO.COM
Sun Nov 11 08:56:37 EST 2001

Hey, anyone out there got a recording of the first satellite?  Sputnik
used to send a beep as it went over, and one of the locals here got a
recording of it, but I don't know where he is.  That would be an
interesting piece of history.  And I can't copy code fast enough to get
the Morse that's sent in the movies and on TV.

Justin
PS- You really can't move satellites around too much, as the fuel is very
limited.  Not to mention there's a conglomerate of dead satellites over
the Pacific and Atlantic Oceans only at 22,000 miles up.  They've run out
of stabilizing fuel to keep them where they needed to be.  So if you want
to make a few billion dollars, get a rocket to refuel them, since most
are fully operational, but have been replaced.