Ebay

Craig Buck K4IA at AOL.COM
Thu Nov 22 12:27:19 EST 2001

I think this all started when Riley Hollingsworth complained that there were
"illegal" amps being sold.  That is: amps that did not meet the FCC
requirements to keep them from being used on CB.  Keeping CB where it belongs
is all right with me but eBay doesn't know and amp from a lamp and got
spooked by the official letter from the FCC.

As I understand it, there is nothing illegal about owning, possessing, or
selling a rig capable of being operated illegally.  There is a law against
using more than 5 watts on 11 meters and amps or rigs capable of operating
there cannot be manufactured and sold as new.  Either Hollingsworth
overstepped his bounds by broadening the law or eBay is being overly
cautious.  Probably a bit of both.

I think the proper way to handle this is write Hollingsworth and ask him to
clarify the FCC position.  Don't expect eBay figure it out on their own.

Radio K4IA
Craig Buck
Fredericksburg, Virginia USA
QRP ARCI #2550  FISTS #6702 CC 788 Diamond #64
K1 #470
For cheap long distance, 800#s and more
Tune to <A HREF="http://www.ld.net/?bucksavers">http://www.ld.net/?bucksavers
</A>