SB-102 Dial lights

Mike wa6ilq at QSL.NET
Fri Nov 30 14:07:35 EST 2001

At 08:11 AM 11/30/01 -0800, you wrote:
>Hi Fellow Greenies,
>
>Some time ago, there were several messages regarding replacing the type
>1815 bulbs with extra-bright white LEDs.  The messages got away from me
>during my last "computer fiasco"!
>
>Please, information!  What LEDs work well behind the dial? One or two
>LEDs?
>On AC or DC (with little diode)?   How about resistor size?
>
>Info sincerely appreciated.
>
>Allen

The biggest problems with wihte leds as dial lights is:
a) they are directional.  Incandescent bulbs have usable illumination from
the sides as well as off the end.
b) they are no where near as bright.  It takes a half-dozen to get the same
illumination as a #47.
c) cost.  Anywhere from $5 to $20 - EACH.

I have two, that I got as samples, one a tiny 2mm case and one of the
so-called T1 3/4 size.  Retail, the two total about $25 total.

I'm going to give the white LEDs some more time to come down in price.

Here's an interesting article on LED lighting:
http://www.humboldt1.com/~michael.welch/extras/ledlight.pdf

Mike WA6ILQ