List Admin - Heath notice

Dave Kelley ai7r at PRESENCEKNOWN.COM
Mon Oct 1 09:43:08 EDT 2001

Greetings,

First, I want to thank Paul, wb9hgz for being the moderator for the past
week.  He's been checking the messages and releasing them as often as he
can.  It's not the free running and almost instant Heath list that you
once had.  Actually, if I could be assured that the topic of war,
religion, and other things non-heath and non-technical could be avoided
seriously in the future then we'd change it back to a free running list
again.  We sure loose a lot of freedoms when a tiny fraction think their
opinions are to important to follow the rules.

Second, I started getting reports (okay, 2) that the archives are having
a problem.  As far as all of the tests I've run, they are working great.
There was a hiccup a month or so ago when we moved the list to another
system, but it's all been fixed and running just fine.  The two reports
are from people with AOL accounts.  Nothing against AOL, but they don't
always do things the same way and the rest of the ISPs.  With today's
virus problems, I wouldn't be surprised if they are blocking some
things, and would even commend them for it. (hackers - again, a small
fraction of people spoiling it for the rest of us)  Although the
archives work using only the standard port 80 used for web access, it
still runs an executable file on our web server.  Many of the
protections AOL, some ISPs, and even the City of Tempe for its
employees, involve blocking anything to do with running a program from a
browser.  I'm guessing this is the case and if indeed that is the case,
there isn't anything I can do to fix that, other than tracking down
every hacker and locking them together in a room full of Apple II's for
the rest of their miserable girlfriendless lives.

There is a way to get to the archives via Email and I'll post that those
instructions separately so you can have a separate reference.  This form
of archive search is strictly email based and shouldn't be blocked by
any virus protection.

Any comments or replies should be to me and NOT to the list.

73

Dave
AI7R