HW and SB vernier drives

john johnmb at NC.RR.COM
Tue Oct 2 15:12:08 EDT 2001

At 02:04 AM 10/2/01 -0500, Kees & Sandy wrote:
>In light of some of the comments about tuning dial
>deficiencies of some of the Heath receivers/transmitters/
>transceivers, I just completed some backlash, stiff tuning,
>slipping adjustments of the vernier drives and wonder if
>there are any other suggestions.

SNIP!

I did the following and it worked like a champ. I also took the two
drives completely apart and soaked em in kerosene, repacked
(watch the force on the "ears" carefully, to avoid "grindy" drives,
repacked with white lithium grease, and did the panel wiggle
your describe, and the 101 has that silky smooth drive again...it's really
FAR superior to the 102/301/401, with it's two series jackson drives
(IMHO!).

BTW: Taking the VFO out of the 101 in order to get to the second drive
is far easier than it might seem. If anyone needs tips/encouragement
in order to fix a slipping drive, drop a line!

73!
John wb5oau/4