SB104A/SB102:YAESU

R. Schmitz HeathlinerSB at AOL.COM
Tue Oct 2 21:56:42 EDT 2001

Hello Heath owners!
Last days,several statements to read about Heath:Collins RX Quality or Good
or bad performance of the SB104.
Here my comment,
Own a SB-102 Line (my childhoods dream,hi)
        a SB104A (several greenies help me right now to get fulll output on 20
        and 15m)
and since a few weeks FT1000MP (not MarkV but todays ham-dream)
First of all, the 1000mp is the best rig, i ever played with. I have to tell,
that i work almost CW.
Yesterday night (abt 01UTC) i listened a while to VU3KJB on 40m CW.He worked
some USA and also Europe; seemed with same reports.
Conditions have been very fair to my SB-104A, because we had here some
AURORA, that made the local broadcasters on 40 quite weak.
You know in the USA, that in Europa there is a great problem with not
preselected rigs (as the 104 is) with intermodulation from 40m broadcast.
Never had any problem with FT1000MP or old Kenwood TS930.
But now the results:
FT1000MP, stable fair 569 solid copy all the time.
SB104:VFO stable as a rock ,solid copy, sometimes weak but to copy
100%. For my ears 549, no readout on the S-meter almost.
SB104: a bit more sensitive but a bit more QRM.Belive, the CW Filters a not
so sharp as in the SB104. Copy 100%. For my ears 559 with a little QRM from
the side, but not a problem to read him.
Why to tell that>: Copy (Antenna is GAP Challenger in the garden) fine with
all 3 rigs. Abit more comfortable with the 1000MP, but is this real important?
You could have made a QSO with all the rigs. Congratulations to HEATHKIT to
build such fine equipment 25-30 years ago. Its a pleasure, to play with.
73´s de Randolf,DL6KAI