Problem with the Soft Start module mod for the SB220 from Harbach

Jeff Weinberg W8CQ w8cqjeff at TDS.NET
Sat Oct 6 10:10:15 EDT 2001

Hi Francisco and Everyone,
If you are outside of the USA and need larger MOV's for the SS-220 kit,
please let me know when ordering.  I do not keep them in stock, but will be
happy to order them and put them in the kit.

Regards,
Jeff Weinberg  W8CQ
Harbach Electronics
(317) 892-2641
http://www.harbachelectronics.com

----- Original Message -----
From: "Francisco Viegener" <fev at CIUDAD.COM.AR>
To: <HEATH at LISTSERV.TEMPE.GOV>
Sent: Saturday, October 06, 2001 9:07 AM
Subject: Problem with the Soft Start module mod for the SB220 from Harbach

I bought in Ebay a SB220 Heathkit RFamplifier and after installing the Soft
Start Module from Harbach I had a big ,skared,nice explotion, after I pluged
it  in the 220volt normal AC pwer line here in Argentina.
Everything was good connected but one of the varistor Z 2 (200VMOV) had
exploded and maked a lot dirt inside and near the Start module.
Harbach give you in the kid 1MOV for 390volts that is connected between the
two end terminal of the power line were you have 220 volts,this is good for
USA and for countries like mine that had 220/380volts.
But then Harbach provide 2 Mov's rated for 200volts that are connected from
each of this terminal to ground,and in my case one of this terminal is
neutral to ground and the other is hot with 220 volts to ground so the MOVs
rated 200volts is to low and that happen to explote it.
Maybe this is not interesting for USA but it is important to all countries
with 220/380volts.
(In USA the voltage when the Ampl is connected to 220 volt the voltage
between each terminal of the Power line and ground is 110 volts thats way
MOVs rated for 200volts are good.)
Thanks , and my intention was to help not to complain,
Francisco LU3EEC.