differences in 6146 A and B

Jim Berry basalop at GTE.NET
Thu Oct 11 09:00:12 EDT 2001

Below is a message from Ludwell Sibley I saved, and will pass along.

73 Jim K7SLI

> I want to replace the finals in my SB-102.  I can find
> 6146B tubes locally but not sure if they will work or not.
>  What is the difference in the 6146, 6146A, and 6146B?
> Hope this is not a dump question!
>
> Thanks
>
> Larry

There is indeed a difference.

6146W is the military "ruggedized" version of the 6146.  It's
intended to hold
up under shock and vibration, e. g., at 50,000 feet over Vladivostok.
However,
it carries the power ratings of the basic 6146, particularly a
dissipation of 20
watts.

6146B is the uprated civilian version, good for 27 watts'
dissipation.  It has
the longer-lived "dark" heater that takes only 1.125 amps (vs. 1.25).
It's
recognizable by the oversized metal-shouldered base.

For our purposes the "B" is likely to last longer, and survive
overloads better,
and thus is in higher demand.  The performance, other than life
expectancy, is
likely to be identical.

For the record, the 6146A is a mobile-rated version of the plain
6146, with
"dark" heater and designed to work with widely varying heater voltage
in cop
cars and such - still rated at 20 watts.

Ludwell Sibley

---