differences in 6146 A and B

Jordan Arndt jordana at NUCLEUS.COM
Thu Oct 11 11:08:33 EDT 2001

You know, I just realized that I have never had to replace a pair of any
type of 6146 tubes, in any equipment that I have owned and used over many
years of operating....I have seen rigs that needed new tubes, but I was not
the owner or at least not the original owner... This covers rigs from the
Viking II , DX-100 and 100B, Apaches, and a Lot of various Heath SB series
rigs... I originally thought it was due to mainly using SSB, but then I
recalled many long hours of AM operation of the V-II and the DX-100....
Tuning the rig properly , while not as crucial as with rigs using sweep
tubes, will really add to the operational life of the tubes..... and a
properly operating ALC circuit will also help keep the output limited and
hence the tubes withing the ratings.... Would you rather have 140 watts out
for 6 months or 110 watts output for 10 years...????   73 de Jordan....