Stupid Question Time RE Amp Load Control.

Glen Zook gzook at YAHOO.COM
Tue Oct 16 19:14:34 EDT 2001

How much power are you putting out?  What amplifier?

Yes, you reach a point at which increasing the loading
capacitor can, in deed, reduce the output.

I have found on a number of "boat anchor" transmitters
and linears, especially those that have the wide range
pi-network (25 - 300 or 25 -600 or more ohm
impedance), that a "perfectly" matched antenna doesn't
load that well.  I have actually had to put a little
reactance in the system for it to work the best.  This
is especially true on my HyTower vertical.
Fortunately, this is an easy antenna to add reactance
with a simple loading coil (two or three turns, 2.5
inches in diamter).  The same thing is true of my
Warrior linear and my Tempo 2001 linear, they both
like a little reactance (not that much, but some) and
both "load" up better, and put out more power.

When using a wattmeter as an "SWR" bridge you have to
subtract the reflected power reading from the forward
power reading to get the true power output of the rig.

Those units with a much narrower pi-network or with
the fixed output networks get happier the closer the
antenna comes to 1:1 SWR and load better.

Glen, K9STH

--- Dan Pividal N4VET <OTAKEBI at AOL.COM> wrote:

Is it common for an amps load control not to increase
output power to the ant if the tuner match is 1to1? I
can dip the amp with the tune control but advancing
the load control beyond 1 actually causes a decrease
in output. Is this normal?

http://personals.yahoo.com