Stupid Question Time RE Amp Load Control.

Multi-Volti Devices multi-volti at SOFTHOUSE.COM
Wed Oct 17 17:43:40 EDT 2001

It can also happen if
A) Antenna impedance is odd...low, high, mostly reactive.

or

B) Tank circuit switch wafer has vaporized contact that switches in
fixed 'padding' capacitors, usually on low bands. I think minimum
present that are removed from the circuit due to bad switch contact (or
cold solder joint) would leave the circuit "capacitance-starved", and
your maximum output would be at fully meshed plate rotation.

I've seen the former on an old rig when vaively trying to use a 80 M
inverted Vee on 40, where the impedance was very high...open circuit
looks similar until capacitor arcs over.

I've seen the latter on SB-1000's at Heath service dept.

Murray