What is the point of reserve price auctions vs. minimum acceptable starting bid?

Multi-Volti Devices multi-volti at SOFTHOUSE.COM
Thu Oct 25 02:13:42 EDT 2001

Warning - PG-13 content - 4-letter word for auction site occurs in following
message - use DELETE key or sledgehammer if offended.

Why not just set a minimum bid below which the auction will not start?
That's what I do - it tells people up front what I'm willing to sell for. I
price auction stuff at what I want for it, assuming there will be one
bidder. Sometimes I'm lucky and the price bids up - I have way too much
other stuff on my credit card to be purist and stop the auction after the
first bid.

But hidden reserves, unless I am not understanding something, seem to
encourage 'pot-shot' bidding, and it wouldn't surprise me if there are a
higher number of irresponsible bids with no intention of paying - just to
find out what the reserve is.

If the guy wants $1000 for his box full of op amps (anal-og computer), I'd
think if he just listed it that way, only people willing to pay that would
bid! What a waste of people's time, eBay server resources, etc. to have
people take pot shots which may never even meet the reserve...hey, maybe
it's 10k$, who knows? There would be maybe one bid instead of countless
guessers.

Murray