hp 23 replacement power supply boards

mike bryce prosolar at SSSNET.COM
Thu Oct 25 13:32:32 EDT 2001

Boys and girlsŠ

The HP23R (the R stands for replacement) power supply boards are just about
done. Eight people have signed up with me to proof build the boards. I had
planned on making up ten or so more prototypes, but have decided to gamble
with a run of 100 boards and bypass the forth prototype run.

The HP23R will be offered in four different configurations:

The HP23R PC board only        $15
The HP23R PC board with all diodes, resistor and bias capacitors LESS high
voltage capacitors     $24

The HP23R PC board for use with Heathkit¹s choke     $68

The HP23R PC board with +300 volt series regulator     $92

shipping will be $4

the PC board is double sided with plated through holes. It has a solder mask
on both sides and a part placement silk screen. It has been router cut.

Complete instructions will be included with each version. However, remember
I am not the Heathkit company so don¹t look for lofty illustrations! I will
also include a complete part list with digi-key and Mouser electronic
catalog numbers.

Which one is right for you?

If you have a large junk box, then the PC board only is the way to go
If you don¹t want to mess with the smaller parts, get the resistor kit and
go hunt for the electrolytic capacitors at the next hamfest.

If you don¹t want to mess with getting parts, then either of the complete
kits will work.

Which complete kit will be right for me?

The kit that uses the old choke filter will be the most useful. The supply
will work 100% just like the original one from Heathkit. The filter caps and
all rectifiers are mounted on the PC board. The filer choke is mounted
inside the chassis on one of the end panels. Two small holes must be drilled
to mount the choke. If you want to be able to keep the dual voltage
selection of the "A" version, then this is the kit for you.

The kit with the +300 volt series regulator won¹t make any of the Heathkit
radios play any better! Basically, it seemed like a good idea and many of
the Collins collectors use the HP23 series supplies. They need the regulated
screen voltage. The Heathkit radios DO NOT require +300 volt regulation!
The extra cost in the regulated version is due to the additional parts and
the larger value capacitors required. The filter choke is not required and
no extra holes are required.

And of course the bottom lineŠ.

If your HP23 supply is running ok, and is in good shape, then there really
is no need to tear it apart and install the update.

On the other hand, if your hp23 needs new caps, is in worst for wear shape,
then the upgrade would be worth while.

I will be taking orders for the boards next week.. with shipment within 2-3
weeks

feel free to use you credit card. I can accept credit cards WITHOUT the
paypal hassle.

--
Mike Bryce WB8VGE
SunLight Energy Systems