Terrorism Comes To North America!

Jack Crenshaw jcrens at EARTHLINK.NET
Wed Sep 12 01:21:46 EDT 2001

Like everyone else here, I am angry and eager for revenge.  However, I think
we should all be careful not to get so carried away with vengeance that we
lower ourselves to the level of the terrorists.  In particular, I'm
concerned about the many Islamists in this country who had nothing to do
with the attacks, but who might suffer unjustly from people looking for
someone to blame.

Make no mistake:  This is war.  I'm old enough to remember Pearl Harbor, and
the hatred it engendered against "Japs." As a kid, I used to go to war
movies. We'd always laugh and cheer when we say a Jap pilot, say, start
spouting blood from his mouth after getting shot.  Let us not forget what we
did to loyal Japanese Americans in the internment camps just after Pearl
Harbor.

On the other hand, I want the people responsible for this tragedy _DEAD_.  I
heard President Bush and others say that they want to see the perpetrators
of these acts brought to justice.  I thought someone on Fox News said it
best:  "I don't want them brought to justice; I want to send them all to
_HELL_."  The trick is to get the right people.

The plain bare facts of the matter are:  We have been building up to this
point in our history for the last 40 or 50 years.    We lost our innocence
the first time some nutball fanatic decided, in Israel, that blowing up 7-10
year-old kids in a school bus was a legitimate expression of "freedom of
speech" and an acceptable way to bring world attention to his supposed
plight.

Such things escalate by stages, like a slowly growing cancer.  Until today,
we have accepted, and some have even condoned, the actions of suicide
bombers and other fanatics in Israel, France, Germany, Northern Ireland,
London, Lebanon, etc., etc. as acceptable, if regrettable, ways of
conducting "diplomacy."  Now we have paid the price for our tolerance.

Again, make no mistake: This is not a matter of Palestinian rights vs.
west-bank settlers.  It is not a case of Judaism vs. Islam, or a case of oil
interests vs. human rights.  This is a case of Good vs. Evil, plain and
simple.  I can't think of a case, since W.W.II and the ovens at Dachau,
where the lines of demarcation were so clearly drawn.  For too many years,
we have allowed evil to act with impunity, with barely more than a
"tsk-tsk."  No more. It cannot be more plain, right now, that whether we
like it or not, we are in a war.  Wars must be won, and Evil must be
defeated.  It will not be easy nor quick, but the only alternative we have
is to let Evil prosper.  And that, I think, is unacceptable.

One thing I'd like to hear one more time:  I'd like to hear the Junior
Senator from New York explain, once more, how the Palestinians have
legitimate reasons for blowing up innocent civilians.

Jack