Terrorism Comes To North America!

Jack Crenshaw jcrens at EARTHLINK.NET
Thu Sep 13 15:29:40 EDT 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: Eddy Swynar <gswynar at durham.net>
To: Jack Crenshaw <jcrens at EARTHLINK.NET>; <HEATH at LISTSERV.TEMPE.GOV>
Sent: Wednesday, September 12, 2001 4:23 PM
Subject: Re: Re: Terrorism Comes To North America!

> Hi Jack...
>
> I do NOT condone ANY acts of terrorism, believe me! But I often wonder if
> people might be driven to such acts out of sheer desperation...

Sorry, Eddy, there can be _NO_ excuse for such hatefulness. None.
> This madness, you say, has gone on for the past 40-50 years---roughly the
> same length of time that Palestine ceased to be a nation state. Would YOU
> not feel that same rage if suddenly YOUR country was simply legislated out
> of existance? How long would you struggle, what sacrifices would YOU make
> see a perceived wrong righted again? Would you not wonder at the injustice
> of it all if the rest of the world sat back and did nothing to help your
> efforts?

Those statements are mostly incorrect.  First of all, the battle and the
animus has been going on for 5000 years, not 50.  Arabs will tell you
themselves that they are descended from Ishmael, while Jews are descended
from Isaac. Abraham banished Hagar and Ishmael from his camp, and Ishmael
and his descendents have been pissed off ever since.  We are not going to
change their mind in 1 week or 50 years.  All we can do is contain them.

> A fellow being interviewed on Canadian radio to-day, I think, said it
best:
> perhaps it is time now for America to look inward, and ask itself why so
> many in the world to-day hate it so. Nations need more than mere rhetoric
> convince the world  that God is always on their side.

America was one of the few countries that defended the state of Israel when
it was first created, and when the Arabs were doing their best to complete
the work of the Holocaust.  We have been supporting them ever since.  We do
that, certainly not out of any sense of self-interest.  Considering all the
oil we use, we'd be a lot better off to be pals with Iraq, Iran, Saudi
Arabia, etc.  We do it because it's the right thing to do.  After their
suffering during the Holocaust and its aftermath, we think the Jewish people
are due for a rest.

Other cultures don't seem to grasp that concept.

Jack