Sprague Hypass Items in a SB-220

Sandy W5TVW ebjr at I-55.COM
Sun Sep 16 12:22:04 EDT 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "John C Adkins" <adkinsj at COMPUSERVE.COM>
To: <HEATH at LISTSERV.TEMPE.GOV>
Sent: Sunday, September 16, 2001 7:09 AM
Subject: Sprague Hypass Items in a SB-220

> Thanks for all the replies.  Joseph Pinner, KC5IJD sent me this specific
> information.

The Sprague "Hypass" feedthru capacitors were rather unique.  They were
used in the prevention of TVI (RFI) and, if properly installed, were very
effective.  They would keep interference "in" a transmitter and "out" of
a receiver.  Regular bypass caps. did not do what the "hypass" ones did.
The capacitors were rather expensive back then, so a lot of amateurs
didn't use them unless necessary, or perhaps when they had a very
"sticky" TVI problem they were trying to  solve.

73,
Sandy W5TVW