GR-78

Dave Wood w4ej at COASTALNET.COM
Sun Sep 16 18:56:48 EDT 2001

Gang, interesting comments from Mark Johnson on his GR-78.  I have two of
these and use them constantly.
I have found in my units that the battery voltage has to drop several volts
before the audio distorts, normally down to about 10.5 volts.  Mark is
quite right about the alignment and it's best to do it with a spectrum
analyzer as this saves much time.  It is also possible for the bandswitch
waffers to be assembled 180 degrees out of phase and this will cause
unusual problems depending on which one is wrong.  If one is restoring one,
be sure to verify the construction of the bandswitch.  Even with double
conversion band F is pretty much useless as the tuning rate and sens are
marginal.  However, in my case, both of my GR-78's perform better than my
GC-1's, especially audio quality.
Perhaps I have'nt done enough to my GC-1's although all the radios meet
published spec's.  I did replace the battery pack with a 1000 ma
replacement from EH Yost, and it will run the radio about two weeks between
charges with operation every night for an hour or so.   Hope this helps!  Dave
Dave Wood
1202 Essex Circle
Wilson, NC 27896

Heathkit Collector