W8KIT Operation

Randy Kaeding rkaeding at HEATHKIT.COM
Mon Sep 17 09:46:12 EDT 2001

Friends:

We almost called the operation off due to everything going on this past week. However, we did operate all day Saturday and made lots of contacts. We had contacts in 40 states, 1 in Canada, and 1 in Europe.

We were using an SB-1400 which worked flawlessly to a 6-band vertical mounted on the roof of a single-story building (Heathkit Company) in downtown Benton Harbor, Michigan. Perhaps next time we will install a beam and possibly a linear amplifier. Our problem with using an amplifier is due to the construction of the building, running an AC line which could handle the extra current may be a problem.

For those who worked us, you can request a QSL card by sending an SASE to:

W8KIT
c/o Heathkit Educational Systems
455 Riverview Drive - Building 2
Benton Harbor, MI  49022

If you are interested in what the company is up to now, you can visit our web page at:

www.heathkit.com

73,
Randy, K8TMK
"One of the Hams (still) at Heathkit"