Fw: Re: America Under Attack

Jack Crenshaw jcrens at EARTHLINK.NET
Wed Sep 19 11:56:20 EDT 2001

Sorry if this post is late and opens wounds better left closed.  And I
promise not to mention the subject of recent discussions about world
affairs.

I fully agree with the sentiment that says that this mailing list should
remain on topic, and we should find somewhere else to air our outrage and/or
concern over recent events.  I see the flurry of postings about the
unmentionable events as cathartic, a matter of venting, and a temporary
transient sort of thing.

But FWIW, I agree 100% with Charles, re the following:

----- Original Message -----
From: Charles W. Morehouse <w4gbw at BREVARD.NET>
To: <HEATH at LISTSERV.TEMPE.GOV>
Sent: Monday, September 17, 2001 5:20 AM
Subject: Re: Fw: Re: America Under Attack

> Hi All,
... Any remark to me is public.

> john wrote:
>
> > I guess you don't have the decency to keep off list conversations
> > private. Perhaps this also would explain your inability to find an
> > appropriate place to post off topic messages.

More than once, I've posted things on mailing lists or newsgroups that
elicited private flames sent to my inbox.  On the few occasions where I
copied the flames back to the NG's for response, the sender screamed like a
stuck pig.  In their minds, there seems to be some Unwritten Law of the
Internet that says that email sent privately should stay that way.  This
works very much to their advantage, since they feel they can say abusive and
insulting things in private, that they'd be ashamed for anyone else to see.

Well, folks, I've got some news for you:  The Internet is an Anarchy. There
_ARE_ no laws, written or un.  I consider my email inbox to be as much a
private thing as the one out by the street.  It's reserved for
correspondence between me and my friends and business associates.  Not just
any old Tom, Dick, or Abdul is invited to stick stuff in there, especially
hot, flaming stuff.

Now that the list has settled down to less controversial and on-topic
messages, hopefully we won't be seeing any more flames.  However, everyone
please be advised:  If I post something on this list that you take exception
to, and feel the need to flame me for, please at least have the cojones to
flame me in public, where the other members can see what a twit you are.
Any private flames sent to my inbox will be answered in public.

Is there _NOTHING_ sacred?  Absolutely, but privately sent flames are not.
Just so's you know.

Jack