FS: Heath Decade Condenser Box, Reduced

Fred Olsen fwolsen at EXECPC.COM
Thu Sep 20 15:00:55 EDT 2001

> van lincoln wd8aam wrote:
> I am looking at the 1955 catalog, and it shows the DR-1 decade resistance
> kit and the DC-1, decade condenser kit,
> both in a polished birch case.  Right alongside (same page) is the RS-1,
> and CS-1 cap/res decades in plastic cases.
> Same functionality.  It says to me that the wood is for shop use, and the
> plastic for portable use.

Perhaps the specs of the units would clarify their intended use, and
therefore position in the line.  The DC-1 and DR-1 decades used
components with +/- 1% uncertainty, and silver-on-ceramic switches.
They were precision instruments intended for circuit design and
evaluation.  Designed as bench standards, they rated the
then-fashionable (and then-affordable!) wood cases typical of many
manufacturers' bench instruments.

The CS-1 and RS-1 aren't actually "decade" boxes, but component
substitutors.  They use typically +/- 10% components in log values and
are intended for service work, hence the inexpensive portable cases.
They would have cost perhaps only a third to a fourth as much as the
precision decade boxes.

> Then on page 23 the TC-2 tube tester is sold for
> $29.50 with a polished birch wood case, and the TC-2P (same unit) but with
> a 'portable suitcase style' case is sold for $34.50.
> Also, a little box shows that both style cases are also available for the
> TC-1 tube checker, and the portable case's price is $7.50, and worth
> every penny of the price!

And don't you wish you could buy those new cases (or the whole kit)
now!  ;<)

> The impedance bridge is now in the metal case (in 1955)

By that time they had the bevel front case for the QM-1 and likely
decided it would be useful for the IB-2 as well.  Rationalizing the line
and providing a 'family' appearance seemed to be things to which Heath
paid some attention.

Fred