Fw: Re: HW-101

Kees & Sandy talen at INETPORT.COM
Thu Sep 20 22:58:28 EDT 2001

Off the HBR Web Site.......

Even the Jackson Bros vernier drives (especially old ones)
develop something other than smooth tuning due to hardened
lubricant, dirt, dust, etc (feel a slight grinding, backlash, etc).
Taking them apart for cleaning and making sure the correct
pressure is applied to the 4 balls requires care, since those
six "fold-over" tabs control tension via the bronze "waffle
spring/washer" and are not meant to be mashed tight. Too
tight will result in stiff tuning, too loose will result in slipping.
But it does allow you to completely clean the drive assembly.
Soaking in solvent works to some degree. A much easier way,
which works well, is to heat the body of the vernier with your
soldering iron (reflows the grease). If you need more grease
use automotive lithium chassis grease or Lubriplate. To force
the grease into the bearings, fill the coupling with grease and,
with the set screws in place, hydraulically force the grease inside
using a section of 1/4" dia shaft until you see it exiting around
the input shaft.

73s Kees K5BCQ