SB-104A problem

Kechkaylo Dave (ATLINKS) KechkayloD at TCE.COM
Fri Sep 21 09:40:55 EDT 2001

Dear R. Schmitz:

Since your unit is an "A" version, a design change was installed on the
TX/IF "C" board output bandpass filters for both the 20 and 15 meter bands.
This change placed trimmer caps to tune these two filters for a flatter
response across the band.

Originally, these filters were wider in the SB-104 (so there wasn't a
problem here), but were made narrower in the "A" version to further reduce
the spurious output. By so doing, the tolerances of the components in this
filter now required a tuning "tweek" procedure. I'd check here and align
them according to the manual. This would be C333 for the 15M band, and C337
for 20M. NOTE: In some early "A"-version "C" boards, C337 was a fixed 15pF
mica. If this is the case in your unit, I'd change it to a small variable
ceramic as well.

You can try adjusting these two trimmers at the geometric center of each
band and then check the band edges for output. A re-adjustment back and
forth may be in order to maintain RF power output across the band.

Some of the early "A"-version manuals discussed this alignment procedure;
later, the "C" board was shipped factory built and aligned. There were two
manuals shipped with the SB-104(A): an assembly and an operation manual.
Anyway, this is a start towards fixing your SB-104A. If this doesn't fix
your problem, we have other places to "hunt". But then, that's half the fun.

Regards,

Dave Kechkaylo, W8DLK/9