Fw: 104/104A

Kechkaylo Dave (ATLINKS) KechkayloD at TCE.COM
Wed Sep 26 10:41:57 EDT 2001

Dear Bill Coleman:

I had to grin after reading your interpretation of how things came to be
with the SB-104(A). I think you've just put on your glasses, and now with
20/20 vision of the past, you gotta remember that the Elecraft, like other
manufacturers' designs, are based on the hard work of those, like Heath, who
struggled with new, ground-breaking circuit design, that today are old hat.

I think the Elecraft K2, while it is a nice, good performer, is way, way too
expensive. Their little QRP job, the K1, using those NE-602 Gilbert-cell
mixers overload even if you look cross-eyed at 'em, and for the money,
really aren't worth it. But is it a good design? People years from now maybe
could say the same thing about them. But people buy them 'cause there really
aren't many other decent kits to choose from (if you really want to build a
kit).

I think Heathkit did a fine job with the SB-104, considering what they had
to work with....but don't forget, Heath was a hard place for a design
engineer to work because of the intense cost pressure. Could Heathkit had
built a better receiver in the SB-104 for the money? You bet, and mistakes
were made in this area. But having designed an affordable all solid state
transceiver, and produce it as a kit in 1974, was a tribute to its principal
designer (I think many of us know who he is).

Regards,

Dave Kechkaylo, W8DLK/9