SB-104

Larry Knapp kc8jx at YAHOO.COM
Thu Sep 27 16:41:06 EDT 2001

Just some more comments about the SB-104...as one of those very lucky few Heath
employees who were selected to proof-build the SB-104 (and some of the
accessories), I can say that it was certainly a challenge.  Definitely a break
through product.  Having built almost 100 kits prior to building the SB-104, I
can say that it was truly different...it was a learning process for me as well
as the engineers who designed it.  Over the subsequent years my operational and
often "on-the-air" unit was used to test new modifications until it was quite
an "engineering marvel".

I am sure that for the industry, ham radio and all the builders and Heath
engineers this was a truly "break through" product of it's time.  Is it the
"state-of-the-art" today?  Of course not; was it then?....you'd better believe
your "bipee"!...but if one looks close enough at the "grand old radios" of
today, they would most likely not be in the shape the are today if it were not
for the "bleeding edge" design break through's of the 104 era.  So today, as we
look back, we need to be mindful of those who's designs created the powerful
and very expensive radios in use today.  For without the radio pioneers much of
what we have today would not really exist.  The SB-104 was a truly great
product of it's time and was a very good radio for me for many many years.
Thought I do not use one today does not in anyway diminsh the effort and months
and hours of design done by many Heath engineers.  They did themselves proud
and ham radio in general.  We can always look back and see flaws...today's
radios have them too...the more we learn and the more the art is explored the
"supposedly" less the impact of a prior product was.  Today's technology and
the components today are so much different than that used in the SB-104...but
it does not make that product any less important or good.  It was for it's time
one hell of a radio.  Glad I could built it, glad I could own it and glad I
could operate with it and work so many DXCC entities (got my DXCC with it).
Proud to have been one of the few.

God Bless America!
73, Larry, KC8JX
St. Joseph, Mi
"One of the X-Hams of Heathkit"

=====
May your days be full of sunshine and good thoughts fill your head.
From: Larry Knapp, KC8JX, St. Joseph, Mi  49085
  Best 73's

http://phone.yahoo.com