General Coverage Receiver Question (Tube).

ALLEN HEIBECK kj6xh at JUNO.COM
Sun Sep 30 16:20:00 EDT 2001

Hi Group,

Well, OK----my 2-cents worth. Yesy, it's a matter of personal taste.
But------ Some 15 years ago I was in Memphis area and picked-up
a few favors by checking-out trade-ins at Memphis Amateur Supply.
With those units, I noticed::
        The Drakes had sort-of a looseness in the feel, and the audio
was not good--shrill, and always rather distorted. Just not clear.
(I have a Drake 2-B receiver as an auv. RX.  I like it mainly because
in his early days, my late uncle Harry, W6ARP used one. Personally,
I find the audio power weak and "bassy";  precise tuning is difficult.
Proper alignment is really involved. Would rather have an SB-301!).

        The Collins did have a tight, professional feel.  But, the TX
was reluctant to give anywhere near rated power.  (Not Collins
characteristic.  Really needed proper alignment.) Biggest aggrevation
was the 200kc "dial width".

        Frankly, the most pleasureable to use was the Heath equipment.
Esp,  the SB-401 TX.  Loved it so much I bought it!
Yeah, the SB-dials are a weak point.  But I've had the SB-101 and the
SB-102.  Never had the dial mechanism to quit on me.
And---that SB-401 worked as well or better than the Collins TX *that
I personally checked*.

So, Yes!!  I certain believe in the Heathkit SB-series.  That "Poor Man's
Collins" did shine as high (at least) as either of the others.

Allen

Rev. Allen,  KJ6XH
         El Cajon, CA
                   http://home.earthlink.net/~mattall