Heath/Collins comparison

Ray F rayfri at NETWORLD.COM
Sun Sep 30 20:22:04 EDT 2001

The Heathkit sb 300/400 was known as the "poor man's Collins" when I was
Novice back in the 60's as well.   Owning a Collins was something I and
many
others only dreamed about and looked longingly at in the QST and 73
magazines.
However, I couldnt afford the Heath line either, being a high-schooler
and I
had to settle for the Knightkit T-60, the Globe Scouts, and similar
rigs.
Now that I've had an opportunity to acquire the SB line, and to operate
the
Collins line at a few locations, I find the Heath SB line equal to the
Collins line.  The Collins gear seems to be a bit "heavier" weight wise,
but thats about the only difference I notice.  I know the 30L-1 linear
which I acquired through
MARS is quite a bit heavier than the SB 200 linear which I also own.
Often
thought it was probably because the Collins line, which was favored by
the military,
was probably meant (like most military equipment) to be able to be
dropped from
a bomber and still operate when it hit the ground and was retrieved by
the
troops HI HI.
If I came across a Collins lineup, whether the newer line, or the old
"black
box" line, I'd probably acquire it if the price was reasonable, but it
seems the
Collins line still holds a lot of it's high price.  Seen the prices the
old and
beloved KWM 2 still go for???   You could buy several of the complete SB
line for the price a KWM is still going for.  In fact, the down payment
on my house was about the same as the KWM purchase prices I still see.
Ray  wa7itz