Once again, Lever knobs for SB, HW rigs

Bob, WB2UJD BobbyTrip at AOL.COM
Mon Apr 1 22:27:33 EST 2002

OK Guys,

I wrote a while back about the possibility of reproductions for the infamous
breaking lever knobs on the SB and HW series rigs (others?).

I know that there many, many of these SB and HW radios out there, these knobs
are famous for breaking, and that people like to collect/use these radios
(myself included).  So, as I embark on having improved replacements made, I
wanted to ask again if people would be interested in having such items for
repair/restorations of these rigs.  The price might be around $10 which I
realize is pretty high for a little piece of plastic, but is there an
alternative?  Not that I know of and I believe they might be worthwhile to
make for that reason.

I have repaired a broken one and reinforced it with fillets on the side and a
"bump" on the back to make the weak area stronger, so that the replications
would not be prone to the same problem.  Also, I believe it would be needed
to have these made without the splined (outside) double-slotted insert since
this inserts positioning depends on where the knob is used.

Would you want (or more appropriately have to have) a couple of these for
rigs that use them?  I think I could just use the few I have and have
repaired and be done with it, but replications seem like a neat way to go,
providing that enough people would want them to make having the mold and low
volume production worthwhile (not injection molding, but polyurethane
casting).

So what do you all think?

73,

Bob, WB2UJD

P.S.  I would be interested in hearing how people have dealt with this
problem (or not dealt with it).  Parts radios? (I got one good one that way)
Tell me your story, at the very least!