HW-101 CW Sidetone Volume?

Bob, WB2UJD BobbyTrip at AOL.COM
Wed Apr 10 07:19:52 EDT 2002

Question for you all:

I have been playing with a (the?) HW-101 CW sidetone bleed-through fix with
mixed results.  I have tried the following (and am thinking about what
follows):

Mark, WB8JKR's "Optimizing the Heathkit HW-101, SB100-120 Tranceivers"
document recommends using a contact of RL1 to shunt the sidetone to ground
during receive.  This works well enough, but (at least in my case) has a
side-effect of a "pop" that is heard when the rig returns to receive from CW
transmit when the relay re-makes the connection to ground shunting the
sidetone.  This pop is more annoying than the original sidetone bleed-through
level, to me at least.

The alternative I am contemplating is implementing the CW sidetone adjustment
circuit of the SB series (which would be easy enough since the holes and
traces are already there to do it).  I am figuring that perhaps simply
lowering the sidetone volume (which I think is plenty loud already on the HW
circuit) will make the bleed-through more tolerable or maybe even not
noticable.

Can anyone comment on the SB implementation's characteristics?  CW sidetone
level in transmit vs. bleed-through in receive?

I have tried making the relay connection to the previous stage in an effort
to shunt it earlier, but think I must have taken the sidetone away from the
VOX amplifier, since the rig was then unable to key in CW (although it
sounded like it was trying).  I also tried resistance in the relay path to
ground, different bypass values on the relay contact, all to no avail.

Comments, ideas appreciated!