[Heathkit] Love Affair with old HW 100 Tube Xcvr. {01}

Mark Johnson/Ontario/IBM mjohnson at CA.IBM.COM
Mon Apr 22 17:40:58 EDT 2002

The issue of replacement belts seems to come up every few months and I feel
compelled to offer my opinion on this subject each time. Again, my opinion
only and I do not mean to appear to be chastising anyone by any means. So,
here goes....Be very careful with belt tension as too much tension,
especially on the Final Load Cap, can cause actual variable cap shaft
bending and shorting. Heath actually issued a bulletin on later model
HW-101's that had the builder/owner install dial cords and get rid of the
belts on the load cap. I've seen at least 3 bent shafts and shorted plates
in my travels with Heath units. Dial cord is easy to string and if done
right puts zero tension on that very looooooong load cap shaft.
Thanks for the bandwidth folks!

Mark V. Johnson
VE3DJU/VE3DDI
---------------------- Forwarded by Mark Johnson/Ontario/IBM on 04/22/2002

John Barkow <KD6PT at AOL.COM>@LISTSERV.TEMPE.GOV> on 04/22/2002 04:36:20 PM

Please respond to KD6PT at AOL.COM

Sent by:    Heathkit Owners and Collectors List <HEATH at LISTSERV.TEMPE.GOV>