D'Arsonval meter repair

Lee Blaske lblaske at PCLINK.COM
Sat Apr 27 16:16:00 EDT 2002

>If I recall correctly, the meter movements and covers for the SB220 were the
>same as those in the HM102 and HM2102 SWR/wattmeters [but obviously not the
>meter scale]. If you need to repair an SB220 meter, you can purchase a
>used/salvaged SWR meter and pillage it for its meter.

I believe the HM-102 meter was supposedly the same meter as in the
SB-200, not the SB-220 (that's what Ed Harbach told me, anyway).

Unfortunately, I believe there were a number of different meters
used. When I adapted the HM102 meter for my SB-200, I could not get
it to read correctly (I believe the specs of the two meters were
different). Also, the HM102 meter I got did not fit the scale from my
SB-200 meter, and I had to cut it and re-drill the holes. Getting the
meter light to fit was also a bear.

I now have a meter that's usable, but only because the Rel. Pwr.
Sens. control allows me to bring it in range to tune. It's not
accurate as far as measuring HV, etc. I suppose I could add a pot to
recalibrate it, but I haven't gotten that far.

So, if you decide to try to make an HM102 meter fit an SB-200, be
prepared for disappointment. On the other hand, you might luck out
and get two meters that were from the same supplier. Fortunately, the
HM-102 meter I got was loose, so I don't have the guilt of trashing a
perfectly good HM102 on my conscience. ;-)

Lee N0IZ