Off-subject--sort-of!

Garey Barrell k4oah at MINDSPRING.COM
Fri Aug 2 23:47:19 EDT 2002

Murray -

I think what you're remembering is in regard to silver plating of tank
circuit components.  Skin effect becomes more pronounced as you go up in
frequency, and beginning at VHF most of the current is very near the
surface.  The higher you go in frequency, the closer to the surface the
current flow.  Copper oxide is a lousy conductor while silver oxide is an
excellent conductor.  Almost as good as silver itself.  Obviously in
waveguide the conductivity of the surface is paramount.

Perhaps what you are remembering is that it's conductivity is
only  _important_  at VHF and above, because of skin effect.

73, Garey - K4OAH
Atlanta