FS SB-301, SB-401

Gareth Gammon ggammon at BCGROUP.NET
Sun Aug 25 12:00:15 EDT 2002

Good morning,

With regret I am offering my SB-301 and SB-401 for sale. My shack (really a walk-in closet) is crammed full of gear and I  can hardly operate comfortably any more so some things have to go. The shelve that holds my manual is so crammed I cannot fit a single thing more on it and as these rigs come with manuals, that will help some.

Both these units are in good operating condition and I use them regularly. I have made many contacts, both on the continent and off and have been happy with their performance.

SB-301  Good cosmetic and operating condition. I would say the front panel/case is 8/10 or so. Equipped with SSB and CW filter. (Sorry, no AM filter but not for lack of trying!!) Comes with a new W7FG manual (I have many of their manuals and have been very happy with them). No mods that I can see. The radio also comes with the SBA-300-3 6 meter converter. It is also in good shape and working. I heard the 6m beacon in Prince George with it, although it probably needs a good alignment. (No manual for the converter).
Asking $175US plus shipping from B.C. Canada

SB-401 Good cosmetic and operating condtion. I would say the front panel/case is 7-8/10.  This radio was repaired/serviced/ aligned by RTO Electronics in the winter as it didn't work when I got it. A few things to note. The CW/MIC Level Frequency Control combination switch has a problem. The stops on the ganged pots are gone. The pots can still be adjusted but I chose to replace the CW level section with a separate pot. It is an "amateurish" repair as it hang out the front but I didn't want to drill any extra holes, I needed to adjust the level to properly drive my amp, it works and I thought I might be able to find a whole unit one day!. Mic level works and the Frequency control part of the assembly works. RTO couldn't find a replacement part.
 The mic connector is a 1/4" stereo jack. It works well, but could easily be restored to the original Heath jack. Amplifier controls work well (relay and ALC) with my Ameritron AL-811 without any buffering etc. The transmitter is complete with the optional crystal pack and I have used it with my HR-10B Receiver as a standalone and in transceiver configuration with the above SB-301. There is a manual for the rig, a Heath original, but in poor condition. I will include 7 feet of RG-62 coax so the buyer can make up the needed connection cables to a 301, something I never got around to doing!!
Asking $165US plus shipping from B.C. Canada

I have made many contacts with these rigs, and regret having to let them go. Sorry about the long email, but I want to give as much info about the radios as possible.

73
Gareth VE7CGG
Fort St. James, B.C.
Canada