SB401 Problem Help Please

Glen Zook gzook at YAHOO.COM
Sun Dec 1 18:41:30 EST 2002

Clean the relay contacts.  You can use plain "ole"
typing paper cut into small strips.

Also loosen and then retighten ALL of the screws that
hold the circuit boards to the chassis.  This will
make sure that the grounding is proper between them
and the rest of the transmitter.

In fact, it doesn't hurt to slightly loosen and then
retighten all of the hardware every couple of years
just to remove the corrosion that sometimes builds up.
 This also works to eliminate all sorts of problems on
other "boat anchor" equipment that use things like
tube sockets connected by screws to the chassis, etc.
Loose grounds can cause all sorts of problems.

Also, the solder connections can look good, but it
would not hurt to take a soldering iron and "hit" each
of them with a "spot" of new solder.  It is possible
that there is an internal problem with the solder
joint that does not "show up" by just looking.

Glen, K9STH

--- Dan Pividal N4VET <OTAKEBI at AOL.COM> wrote:

The only way I can get RF output is to tap ever so
gently on the carrier generator board or the
mixer-bandpass board. I have checked for bad solder
joints and have found non.

=====
Glen, K9STH

Web sites