SB401 Problem Help Please

Gerald C. Lemay w1id at FCGNETWORKS.NET
Mon Dec 2 08:16:13 EST 2002

As Glen says, retightening of the screws will improve grounding. Heathkit
had a habit of using the edges of pc boards coming in contact with the
chassis for ground connections. Unfortunately with time the contact area
oxidizes. I would even remove all the screws and clean the contact areas
between the boards and chassis. I've used Q tips soaked with contact
cleaner. I've seen a lot of rusted hardware in my old Heathkits. I believe
the hardware they used was 3-48 screws which are not widely available
nowadays. Sometimes you can substitute 4-40 or even 2-56 hardware. Loose
hardware is not only a Heathkit problem, it applies to most old radios as
well. Just finished working on a very early Drake T-4XC with similar
problems!