Old Filter Caps

Glen Zook gzook at YAHOO.COM
Fri Dec 13 15:33:56 EST 2002

When I was in high school, a couple of the "problem
children" students would take the electrolytics from
old TV sets that had the two insulated leads from the
same end and plug them into an AC outlet.  It took
about 30 seconds to a minute on average, and the
capacitor would explode giving off a bad smell and
lots of smoke and debris.  They would do this in
school bathrooms, classrooms, etc.  We had a pretty
good idea as to just who was doing this, but they
never got caught.  However, over a couple of years I
suspect that they set off at least 50 capacitors
(about one per week).

Glen, K9STH

--- Neil Morrison <neilsmorr at HOTMAIL.COM> wrote:

It's not too corrosive, but if you've ever seen one
explode, DAMN, it's messy!

=====
Glen, K9STH

Web sites