AR3

Karl Schulte WA2KBZ at AOL.COM
Fri Dec 27 02:15:37 EST 2002

My first receiver and it was a nice one. I built it carefully with a more
experienced buddy supervising, when I was 14. Worked right away. Below 20 M
was pretty good, like S-38, maybe a bit better. Heard off-ham stuff like the
Texas Tower sinking off Sandy Hook, NJ (all hands lost; all on 2182 KHz, in
1960). Worke3d a lot of hams around USA and Europe with it and my ARC-5 plus
HB 807 rig. The alignement is tricky on upper band. Suggest you download
manual from net to get tracking right. I have 2, one is fair and other is
junk (full of rust, parts only); got both on net, caveat emptor (buyer
beware).  The one I have is not as good as my old one which I foolishly sold.
The AT-1 was my 1st rig , on loan before I built mine and then got an 80 m
Arc-5. A buddy (my "Elmer") worked over 2000 counties and WAS and DXCC with
the pair. It was a useful beginners pair.  Good luck with yours. Alot of guys
used a 455 KHz Arc-5 rcvr as a "Q5'er" tunable IF with the AR-3 and I had an
old plastic vernier added to front of main tuning for sloww tune. When alined
right, dial was fairly on, and decent sens. on all but highest band.

73

Karl