SB-620 connection?

Ken Dupuis Wn2Sqc wn2sqc at JUNO.COM
Fri Dec 27 18:29:57 EST 2002

Hi Chuck, by golly I got it. The 1970 pg. 89 article says, "The Heath
SB-620 Scanalyzer is normally to be connected to the plate of the
receiver mixer tube associated with the receiver VFO. Somewhat better
performance with the HW-100 and SB-101 transceivers may be had by
connecting the SB-620 input to the unused winding (terminals 2-3) 0n T201
which tunes the plate of the second receiver mizer, V12A. To do this,
install a phono jack next to the ALC jack (on the HW-100). Connect a
short piece of shielded cable (such as RG-58 or RG-59) between the jack
(with the cable shield grounded at the jack) and the unused terminals
that pop up through the unsoldered holes at the bottom of the printed
circuit board below T201. Solder the cable shield to one terminal and the
center conducter to the other terminal. A light realignment of T201 may
be needed during operation. The modification eliminates the drop in pip
level on the SB-620 (due to the low impedance of the reciever filter)
when the signal is tuned in; however, the pip level may drop somewhat due
to AGC action. See the discussion on this in the Q&A column for October
1969, page 72."  If you want I can make photo copys and send it via snail
mail, is this okay and are you good on QRZ for an address?  BTW, the 1969
inside front cover shows the SB-101 at $370 a copy, wow, that was two
weeks pay, before taxes. Let me know, 73 Ken