Drifting VFO

Paul Hendershott pjhend at AMERITECH.NET
Fri Feb 1 16:59:08 EST 2002

First, thanks to everyone for your help with my "scatchy audio" on my
HW-101.

Now I've discovered a new problem. After about 30seconds of  transmit on
10m, my VFO would shift about +5kc and stay there until my next longer
transmission where it would move again. Don't know if this happens on
the other bands. I put the radio together 27 years ago and it still
looks new, but I have a sneaking suspicion that the caps or tubes might
need to be replaced. I'm thinking this might be a temperature induced
problem since it only happens on longer transmissions (I know...I should
be quiet and not talk so long right!) Also, the VOX circuit is acting up
- at first it worked sporadically and now not at all. Tried adjusting
the delay & sensitivity, but the relay won't activate at all now.
Is 27 years old old-enough that I should replace all the caps and check
all the tubes?
Thanks!
Paul    KB9YVP