UNBUILT Heathkit H89 Computer Kit & Software - $526.77

Peter A Markavage pmarkavage at JUNO.COM
Tue Feb 5 17:34:53 EST 2002

I don't wonder about the number of unbuilt kits out there somewhere ( I'm
sure there are many), I question the logic for paying such high prices
for kits (there's a WA-P2 preamp up there still climbing). I remember a
Heath unbuilt antenna tuner some time ago went for around $600. You can't
ever build the kit because it's value as a completed kit (in pristine
condition, as new, etc.) would fall at the high value of a unit assembled
20, 30, or 40 years ago. Then there's the condition of component aging of
parts sitting around for 20 to 40 years in a box. Of course one could set
up a unbuilt kit museum where people can come in and look at cardboard
boxes, bags of parts. little signs that define what it is, pictures, etc.
My suspicion is that these buyers of unbuilt kits are looking at this as
an investment and hoping to come back, probably to the same place, in
maybe a year or two and try to cash in on an even higher price.

Oh well, this is America. Land of opportunity and opportunists.

Pete