Single-pin(spot) mic conn

Glen Zook gzook at YAHOO.COM
Tue Feb 12 20:04:28 EST 2002

You definitely can use a PL-259 in place of the
Amphenol type microphone connector.  Cut the center
pin so that it is about 3/8 of an inch long.  The
threads are identical.  In fact, there have been
several "suggestions" made in QST "Hints and Kinks"
column over the years for doing exactly this.

Radio Shack, until very recently, had an adapter that
took a "normal" 1/4 inch phone plug and adapted it to
the Amphenol connector.  However, this is not present
in their latest catalogue.

I am using a PL-259 for the microphone connector on my
Hammarlund HX-50A that I use on 160 meters.  Since it
is on the "back side", I don't really care what it
looks like!  It definitely works.

Glen, K9STH

--- Carl Menne <cmenne at SEIDATA.COM> wrote:

I think you can alter a PL-259 by filing down the
center pin, and that the threads are a close match to
the mic conn.

http://greetings.yahoo.com