WHAT AM I DOING WRONG?

Ed Richards k6uuz at JUNO.COM
Tue Feb 19 08:51:39 EST 2002

Hi Jeff;

Obviously, you are doing something wrong. One tip is to disconnect the
screen resistor from the finals and unsolder the finals plate connection
from the feed-thru on top of the chassis, per the book. The book never
tells you to make these connections until AFTER the alignment. You need
to remove the top and back covers of the PA cage to do this. I have
aligned a number of SB-400/ 401 and never had a problem. Follow the book
faithfully! Do not skip a step or accept a step until it conformers with
the book. TIP: be sure to set the heterodyne oscillator slugs about 80%
of peak on the slow side. TIP: the driver grid coils are a series
arrangement and must be aligned in the order described. TIP: Be certain
to set the driver tuning where it says for each band. Good luck.

Ed Richards