SB-301 Questions

Stu Lyon slyon at PACIFICNET.NET
Wed Feb 20 20:31:03 EST 2002

John,

First off -- do you have the manual? Or just the alignment procedure? All
your questions are answered in the manual.

Anyway, you should be able to tune the LMO by just the shaft w/o the knob.
Take off the knob and you'll find a nut holding a shaft bushing in a slotted
hole. This slot adjusts the engagement of a pinch-drive to the dial. Loosen
the nut and move the bushing UP to slightly disengage the drive and tighten.
Try this. If you move it too far the shaft will just slip and maybe
disengage totally. It will take 3-4 tries but you should be able to get it
just right. Be sure to check over at least one full revolution of the dial.

The dial pointer is a little more tricky. If you look at the support points
of the dial pointer drive arm (to the chassis), you will find that it is
held in place by 6/32 screws in slotted holes. The arm has vertical slots
and the chassis has horizontal slots. The adjustment is up/down and
right/left in these slots. When the circular dial is fully CCW, the "90" on
the dial should align with the 2-1/2 mark on the plastic window. Then rotate
so that the first "00" is at 2-1/2. The white pointer should align with "0"
on the dial window. If not - if the pointer is to the RIGHT of "0", loosen
the screws and move the base of the arm RIGHT until the pointer is at "0".
If LEFT, do the opposite. Now rotate the dial five revolutions. The pointer
should align with the "5". If to the LEFT of "5", loosen the screws and move
the arm UP in the chassis slotted holes; if to the RIGHT of "5", move the
arm DOWN. After about 10 iterations of this, you'll come to a point of "gud
enuff". The pointer is not intended to be accurate -- just a turns counter.

Good luck
73, Stu W6CUX
Winnetka, CA
slyon at pacificnet.net