SBA-104-1 Interest?

Kechkaylo Dave (ATLINKS) KechkayloD at TCE.COM
Wed Feb 27 09:13:02 EST 2002

To All:

About the SB-104 noise blanker. I remember servicing a ton of SB-104s at
Heath, many with the noise blanker accessory installed. In most situations,
these noise blankers added more problems than it solved (intermods) by the
time the threshold was set high enough that produced effective blanking.
Some waveforms received with just the right pulse repetition frequency and
duration seem to "fit" the noise blanker and it worked; most noise pulses in
the real world did not, however. Therefore many individuals would set the
threshold too high, making the receiver appear to have more in-band signals
(intermodulation). Ugly.

What I would do, assuming I had the time and there was enough interest,
would be to re-design this small noise blanker board. One of the major
problems in doing this are the PCB-mounted card edge connectors. I can't
seem to locate them anymore. Any suggestions?

Dave Kechkaylo, W8DLK

-----Original Message-----
From: Gerald Lemay [mailto:w1id at FCGNETWORKS.NET]
Sent: Tuesday, February 26, 2002 9:17 PM
To: HEATH at LISTSERV.TEMPE.GOV
Subject: Re: SBA-104-1 Interest?

The price would seem a bit steep considering there is very little to the
noise blanker circuit. As I remember there's a couple of IC's and
switching transistors. Add a few resistors, capacitors and RFC's. The
board would probably not be that expensive. I think you can get
single-sided boards in quantities for less than $20. Of course, you have
to add documentation and assembly instructions plus profit. Also don't
forget the people who would buy the kit and unfortunately don't know
which end of the soldering iron to hold. Those people could take away
quite a bit of your time and probably show little if any regard for all
your efforts. Guess you can tell I don't like dealing with the public!