Fw: Re: SB-series friction dial drive

Sandy and Kees Talen windy10605 at JUNO.COM
Wed Jan 2 15:05:12 EST 2002

I guess I'm missing something here about rubber bands to repair SB
series drives. The only two drives I know about are the dual Jackson
Bros ball verniers as used on the SB-104, HW-101, etc and the pinch
rollers as used on the SB-301, SB-102, etc

The pinch rollers slip if there is not enough friction between the
beryllium
copper pinch roller and the tapered edge drive ring attached to the
plastic
dial. There should only be enough force between the tapered drive ring
and the pinch rollers to prevent slipping. The pinch roller should
definitely
not be visibly "spread apart", and absolutely not "pushed on all the
way".
I believe the gap between the two disks (drive removed from the SB-xxx)
should be between zero and approx .002" to work properly.

One cause of slippage is due to the drive ring being able to move
perpendicular to the shaft and not stay centered. This occurs if the four

mounting tabs are improperly installed or if the plastic dial has split.
One of the "inevitable" age/stress cracks which originate at the hub
may have made it out to the the edge of the dial. The ones that make
it out to the edge will usually be at the weakest points (where the drive

ring attaches) ....at "15", "40", "65", or "90".

Another possibility is that the beryllium disks are spread apart too far
or
cracked. Seems like the spacer between them could be filed down to
bring the disks together (the shaft would have to be filed the same
amount
or a shim installed under the outer washer to allow tightening). Cracked
disks would have to be replaced with something.

73s  Kees K5BCQ