Receiver for use with Heath Apache, TX 1

Larry Knapp kc8jx at YAHOO.COM
Sun Jan 6 21:43:37 EST 2002

Gene - Glen has a pretty fair list of receivers to consider.  Also you need to
consider if you want only a Heath receiver or others.  Besides the Mohawk the
SB-301 you have would be very good to consider, especially if the SB-301 has
the AM filter.  I would think you need to determine what kind of primary
operation you will be doing with your Apache (TX-1)....If SSB use (with an
SB-10), then you need a receiver that's good there; or if primarily CW...or
primarily AM...Not that I want to start another "flame thread", but of the
receivers listed, you need to determine if they are SSB/CW/AM or only primarily
AM/CW...you can receive SSB acceptably but with some tuning "assistance"
necessary on the 75A series (1,and 2), Hammarlund HQ-140X, HQ-150.....also,
Glen's S-85 (I used to have one Glen).  The Mohawk is, as most said, the
matching receiver that was sold along side the TX-1....there were several
articles regarding this receiver in Electric Radio that really "souped" it
up....in other words, made it better...November, December 1997 and January
1998...also on in May 1999.  Mohawks, RX-1's, can run one up to about $500 or
more, depending upon quality....and they are not that common.  Back in the 60's
I used an Apache, SB-10 and SB-300 receiver and it worked out very good.  So
don't necessily discount your SB-301.

I'm sure you will get many responses....whatever receiver you choose,
congradulations on getting one of Heath's finest transmitters of the late 50's
& 60's.  It's a good one & properly tuned and adjusted sounds good on AM and
CW....with the SB-10 it is a very good SSB performer also.

73, Larry  KC8JX
St. Joseph, Mi
"One of the x-hams at Heath"

--- Glen Zook <gzook at YAHOO.COM> wrote:
> Of course, the matching receiver is the Mohawk.  The Apache and Mohawk were
the "original" Heathkit "twins".  Then, you can add the SB-10 SSB adapter and
> the Warrior linear for the complete station at a later date.
>
> The Mohawk is a pretty good AM receiver and not that bad on SSB.  I acquired
a Mohawk last summer and it sits next to my Apache as part of my AM station
> (remainder is a Heath DX-100 and Hallicrafters S-85 - re-creation of my 2nd
primary station from 1960).

> Other receivers include Collins 75A series (1,2,3, and 4), Hammarlund
HQ-140X, HQ-150, National NC-300, NC-303, Hallicrafters SX-100, SX-101 series,
and so on.

> Glen, K9STH
>
> --- Gene Holcombe <n5zdf at NETDOOR.COM> wrote:
>
> thought I would check and get opinions on a good
> receiver that may do better than what I have.

=====
May your days be full of sunshine and good thoughts fill your head.
From: Larry Knapp, KC8JX, St. Joseph, Mi  49085
  Best 73's

Send FREE video emails in Yahoo! Mail!
http://promo.yahoo.com/videomail/