Comanche

Glen Zook gzook at YAHOO.COM
Mon Jan 7 11:37:33 EST 2002

The Comanche receiver, and its companion transmitter,
the Cheyenne, was introduced in 1959 for mobile
operation.  It covers 80, 40, 20, 15, and 10 meters.

You need a separate power supply and speaker to use
this receiver.  It has a variable BFO (its successor,
the HR-20, had a two-position crystal controlled VFO).
There is a fairly good i.f. filter (crystal filter).

I used the Cheyenne / Comanche pair mobile back in the
mid-1960s as well as using the receiver before that as
a "fixed" station at my fraternity house from 1963 to
1964.  It is an "OK" receiver.  Fairly stable and
sensitive.  Let a "boyfriend" of my eldest daughter
"borrow" the receiver in the late 1980s and haven't
seen it since!  Got another one last year for
"nostalgia" purposes.

The companion transmitter (Cheyenne) was sort of an
Apache / DX-40 hybrid.  The VFO in the Cheyenne and
the r.f. are pretty much that of the Apache except
that it used a single 6146 instead of a pair of 6146
tubes.  However, it used the "controlled carrier"
modulation of the DX-40.  I "modified" my Cheyenne to
use with the SB-10 SSB adapter (easy modification) and
used it on SSB from 1966 until late 1967 when I got an
SB-401.  For the time, the VFO was pretty stable and
the transmitter put out about 50-55 watts.  Gave the
transmitter to an employee of mine around 1980.  Am
looking for another one for "nostalgia" purposes.

The Heath HP-20 or any of the HP-23 series will "run"
the Cheyenne / Comanche without any problems.  Also,
you can build a simple power supply for the receiver
with little effort.

Glen, K9STH

--- Mike Morris WA6ILQ <morris at COGENT.NET> wrote:

What is it?   When was it sold?  What bands, power,
etc.  Does it need an external power supply (like a
HW-101 equires a HP-23)? Any gotchas I should know
about?

Send FREE video emails in Yahoo! Mail!
http://promo.yahoo.com/videomail/