HW-101 O Rings

Mark Johnson/Ontario/IBM mjohnson at CA.IBM.COM
Mon Jan 7 13:50:29 EST 2002

Not to single Russ out by any means, but this issue is a bit of a crusade
for me as I've seen problems with O rings on the load cap too many times.
Apologize for repeating this point again but I hate to see anyone fall into
a preventable problem.

I strongly recommend you do not use an O ring on the variable load cap as
it stresses the shaft too much and will in time cause the cap to short.
Look at the actual length of that shaft and apply your hi school physics
lessons re: leverage. Heath recognized this on the later HW-101's and
issued a bulletin recommending the use of dial cord on this cap. My SB-100
being early, used the dial cord and the stringing instructions are very
simple. I'm restoring an SB-102 and last night I strung the dial cord in
about 10 minutes.....I happen to have 10  thumbs too.....hi hi ..

Sorry if I appear to be preaching......

Mark V. Johnson
VE3DJU/VE3DDI
---------------------- Forwarded by Mark Johnson/Ontario/IBM on 01/07/2002

"Russell G. Smith K7UZ" <Radiopro106 at AOL.COM>@LISTSERV.TEMPE.GOV> on
01/07/2002 12:48:41 PM

Please respond to Radiopro106 at AOL.COM

Sent by:  Heathkit Owners and Collectors List <HEATH at LISTSERV.TEMPE.GOV>