Kenwood TS80s + SB200

Ray Keefe kc2gmn at YAHOO.COM
Tue Jan 8 08:11:56 EST 2002

Andy,

I have the TS820 driving a SB200 just fine. I remember I had to limit the
ALC voltage with a zener diode. I'll dig around and find the info and post
it here.

The following is from memory and looking at the schematics and info from the
TS820 manual. You will need to make a shielded cable, if you haven't
already, with an 8 pin plug to mate to the remote connector on the rear of
the TS820 and RCA male phono plugs on the other. This is the control cable
that will trigger the relay in the SB200. Connect a 6.1 or 6.2 volt zener
across pin  6 to ground on the 8 pin plug. Pin 6 goes to the center of the
RCA plug and goes into the ALC jack on the rear of the SB200. Pin 5 will go
to the center of the next plug and it goes into the jack labeled ANT RELAY.
The grounds all go to pin 1 or 4 on the 8 pin plug.

The tune up procedure as follow. Tune the TS820 into a dummy load on
whatever freq your using. TURN DOWN THE OUTPUT to almost nothing. Make sure
your antenna is tuned for the operating frequency before you fire the SB200.
Turn on the SB200 and follow the tune up procedures in the Heath manual into
a dummy load. WATCH your current levels! Now bring up your drive levels on
the TS820 and adjust as needed to keep from overdriving it, if you do the
protection ckts will kick in and shut down the SB200 for a few minutes.

Enjoy the amp it works great with the TS820. If there are any errors here I
hope that some sharp eyed  ham will spot it and correct it. This is from
memory and just looking at the schematics. I'll double check it when I get
to the ham shack and look over my paper work there.

Ray Keefe
KC2GMN