6146 Summary

rayfri rayfri at NETWORLD.COM
Wed Jan 9 17:41:23 EST 2002

After reading Glen's explanation and the article he penned, it seems to
me
that all the 6146 talk can be boiled down to one recommendation:
Equipment which used 6146 or 6146A tubes cannot use subsequent models
without possible or likely problems breaking out, but equipment which
used
the B or the military W tubes can use the earlier plain or A tubes
without trouble.
If that about sums it up, then I may have to see if anyone wants to swap
some
W's for plains or A's in order to retube my Heathkit SB-400 and SB-101
because they use the 6146A tubes.
However, looking at my Kenwood ts-520 manual, it says the finals are a
pair
of S2001A tubes, which are the same as 6146B tubes according to
the manual.  .  SO... I can use the W's I have for my Kenwood, because
if I understand Glen correctly, the W and the B are essentially the same
tube, or at least interchangable.
Ray  WA7ITZ